I've been tagged by Eric on the Favourite Holiday Recipe meme. Here is mine: it is not difficult compared to other family recipes but it is excellent. It works best with rhubarb grown on Prince Edward Island, but if not possible, work with the freshest stuff you can find.
Island Rhubarb Dessert
This a 4-layer pan dessert.
- Put on some favourite holiday music and pour a beverage of your choice.
- Prepare separate packages of dreamwhip and a 6 oz package of vanilla pudding.
- Eat some vanilla pudding, to set the stage.
- Crust layer: Mix 1 1/2 cups graham crumbs, 1/4 cup soft margarine, and 1/4 cup brown sugar. Spread in 9 x 11 inch pan. Bake at 350 F for 5 to 8 minutes. Let cool.
- Filling layer 1: 4 cups fresh or frozen rhubarb, 1 cup white sugar, 1/2 cup water, 3 tablespoons cornstarch, and 2 tablespoons strawberry jello powder. Boil until cooked and thick to a sauce. Spread on crust. Let cool.
- Filling layer 2: Cover with prepared dreamwhip and add 1 1/2 miniatures marshmellows if desired.
- Top layer: spread prepared vanilla pudding over the dreamwhip layer.
- Enjoy with friends.