Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Blogger, OpenID, and Stack Exchange

I'm a big fan of Stack Exchange and have invested a fair amount of time on various accounts on there (mostly Stack Overflow, less on English and Music).

However, I have to admit that I do not keep up with their various escapades with OpenID. I hear about it on the podcast/blog, but I haven't paid much attention.

However, every now and then, it seems as though I can't get into my accounts via my Blogger URL. Not good.

Strictly speaking, I should research OpenID, Blogger's implementation thereof, and then study the trials and tribulations of Stack Exchange. Then, I could summarize it for you, dear reader, and we could reflect, philosophically, on the sharp corner-cases of the web while enjoying a beverage in a local pub.

This isn't one of those posts. This one is simply intended as a modest link-post of gratitude (aka "this worked for me!").

The Problem

When I visited a Stack Exchange site recently, I couldn't login via my Blogger URL, and may not have even been presented with the familiar login icon that I had been using.

One Solution

Follow the steps in this post on JMPinline, including creating a Google Profile and updating with the new links.

Presumably, Stack Exchange uses OpenID 2.0 now and this will upgrade your Blogger OpenID to that version.

Either way, I was immediately able to login to Stack Exchange. My sincere thanks to the original author!

HTH

No comments: