My client site uses an Object-Oriented DB. For months now, the only way to "see" the data was either a wretched DB "inspector" from the vendor or to debug the extensive server application.
I had been experimenting with Groovy a bit and decided to give it a try. In a rare flash of tactical insight (particularly step 1), I did the following:
- The server apps are started via Ant. I hacked the Ant XML file so that it wrote the classpath variable to the console. The line was enormous but, in theory, would contain almost everything I needed.
- I set the classpath in a "bat" file along with the Groovy jar, and set-up a windows cmd shell.
- I started to cut-n-paste some of the DB config code into a Groovy script.
- There was definitely a learning curve (mostly classpath/import issues), but before long, I was reading and writing directly to the OODB, using precisely the same Java classes that our app uses. Each example script was about 30 lines long.
Final score: Groovy 1 OODB 0